How to make a claim & how to switch over to KBD Insurance
As you probably already know, KBD is an insurance broker who provides car, home and commercial insurance to its customers. We insure over 8000 clients across the province of Quebec, and hence we get asked the two questions mentioned in the title above an awful lot. For the purposes of this blog, keep in mind that KBD Insurance handles the sales and service portion of your insurance file, while Intact handles the claim logistics, and Intact is ultimately the company to pay out of pocket for your claim. So, as an example, if you need to change your address, a KBD broker will make this change for you. If you need to make a theft claim, Intact will be handling this. Let’s break it down:
How do I make a claim when I am insured with KBD Insurance?
Home, apartment, condo insurance : If you’re a client with KBD, chances are that your home, apartment or condo is insured with Intact Insurance. They are Canada’s leading insurance provider, and year after year rank amongst the highest with regards to customer satisfaction when it comes to filing a home claim. The process itself is actually quite simple if you need to make a claim:
- Call KBD Insurance OR call Intact insurance directly
- We always suggest calling KBD insurance first as our licensed brokers will provide a more qualified insight into the situation than a claims adjuster. Our insurance brokers will tell you exactly what you are covered for, and can also give you a more accurate description of what will happen to your premium if you make a claim. For example, if your home is suffering from a water leak in the ceiling, and it’s going to cost you $1,500 to fix, we may suggest that you repair damage yourself; the majority of our clients have a $1,000 deductible, which means you would already be paying for $1,000 of the ceiling damage out of pocket. Fixing it yourself will help keep a squeaky-clean claims record, which will ultimately keep your premium down long term.
- If you absolutely need to make a claim, one of our brokers will put you in touch with the Intact claims department. An Intact agent will take down your information, and start the process.
- They will assign you a specific claims adjuster
- The claims adjuster will call you to collect further information from you, and determine if it’s time sensitive or not (example, a sewer back-up that needs to be stopped ASAP)
- The claims adjuster will go to your home, to further assess the situation and physical damage.
- If repairs need to be made to the home structure, a general contractor or emergency clean up crew will be appointed to start making the repairs.
- If it’s a theft claim, your claims adjuster will ask for a list of items that were stolen so that you may be reimbursed
*Tip* we recommend to keep a list, or at least photos, of all of your personal belongings. This will help speed up the claims process in the event of a theft claim.
- If your claim happens outside of our business hours, no problem. The Intact Insurance claims department is open 24/7, so you can always call them directly. The same process applies as above, except you will not have the chance to get an expert broker opinion on the situation.
Car Insurance : All of our clients are insured with Intact Insurance for automobile, and the process for a car claim is very similar:
- Make sure that everyone is safe and that nobody has been hurt
- Call either KBD Insurance or Intact Insurance directly
- If you speak with an insurance broker at KBD, we will provide insight into the claim, and then connect you with a claim’s adjuster at Intact
- The Intact claims adjuster will send your automobile to a specific repair garage, or to the “Intact Service Center” depending on where you live geographically. More and more clients who are involved in a car claim are sent to the Intact Claims Center, as Intact Insurance has control of the process from A-Z; it’s essentially a repair garage, owned by Intact. This situation results in a quicker claims settlement and also a better client experience.
- Your repairs will be completed, and you will be provided with a courtesy vehicle in the meantime so that you can continue to drive around if you have this coverage available on your policy.
If the accident is deemed a “total loss”, you will be given a cheque for the value of your car at the day of the accident (actual cash value). If you purchased replacement cost protection, then you will be given a cheque in the amount of what it costs to buy a brand-new vehicle, the same model as what you had prior. To find out more about replacement cost, please read our September 2019 blog which touches on this 😊
Commercial Insurance: When it comes to commercial insurance, KBD has much less of a concentration in terms of which insurance companies we place our clients with. We deal predominantly with Intact, Lloyd’s, CFC Underwriting (cyber insurance experts) and many other insurance companies, depending on what industry you are in. In the event of a claim, you are going to need to call us directly to start the claims process.
If you are a commercial insurance client and you have a policy with Lloyd’s : call us directly, and we will put you in touch with a company called Indemnipro, an independent claims management company that earns its revenue strictly from claims adjusting. This means that they will be the company to handle your claim, assess the damage done to your business, and make the necessary repairs. If your claim involves lost revenue, Indemnipro has their own accountants to help determine what amount you will be paid out with regards to lost profits. Indemnipro have offices across Canada, and have existed for decades.
How to switch over to KBD Insurance
We are one of the fastest growing insurance brokers in Quebec, so we get asked this question a lot. We issue dozens of new policies everyday for clients who are looking to save money on home, car and business insurance. The process is very simple:
- Complete a quote either online at www.kbdinsurance.com or call us directly at 514-636-0002. When you complete a quote online (through the Intact widget) you will be asked for most of the information required to present you with a price and the proper insurance protections. The online quote will ask you info such as your name, date of birth, the model of the car, and how much driving experience you have. Once you complete a quick car quote online, we suggest calling us directly to finalize the policy. We also provide online quotes for home, tenant, condo and commercial insurance.
- Once you have set up a car insurance policy with KBD, you will then need to call your old insurance company to cancel that policy
- One of our brokers will ask for your payment info to pay for your insurance policy
- We always recommend switching insurance companies at your renewal date, to avoid paying any type of penalty fees. The penalty fees applicable are generally about one month worth of premium.
- Once you are a client with KBD Insurance for your car or home, download the Intact application on your smartphone! This will provide you with your policy documents, payment dates, and much more.
As insurance brokers, we love to get customer feedback and are always seeking to improve our workflows in an effort to better serve our clients. Call us today for all of your insurance needs!